Guide to Personal Information Protection
(1) Definition of personal information
Personal information means information related to a living person that identifies a particular individual by his or her full name, resident registration number, or phone number. Information that may be combined with other information to identify a particular person may be considered personal information.
(2) Types and definition of personal information
- 1General information
General biographical information such as full name, address, birthplace, family relationship, phone number, etc.
- 2Mental information
Information that reveals an individual’s preferences or tendencies such as ideas, beliefs, religion, values, hobbies, etc.
- 3Physical information
Information that reveals an individual’s physical status such as health condition, height, weight, medicalrecord, medical history, level of disability, etc.
- 4Social information
Information related to an individual’s social activities, divided into areas such as education (academic history, grades, etc.), work (job, place of work, employment history, etc.), criminal offenses (criminal records, court records, etc.).
- 5Financial information
Information related to an individual’s economic activities such as income, savings, loans, credit card inquiry, etc.
- 6Communications information
Information used in electronic, communicative services such as e-mail, phone conversations, Internet IP, etc.
(3) Measures for Personal Information Protection
- 1Make your passwords difficult for others to guess and change them regularly
- Set your passwords as eight letters or longer with a combination of letters, numbers, special symbols, etc. in three or more digits when registering as a member.
- Change your passwords regularly, at least once every three months, and avoid using the same password in different websites.
- 2Do not provide your information to others or post them on your SNS
- Be cautious not to disclose your personal information such as ID, password, resident registrationnumber, etc., or disclose them to your friends or others.
- Do not make too much of your information public such as contact number, location, address, etc. on your SNS.
- If you need to provide personal information for purposes such as member registration, receivinggifts, etc., read the clauses such as personal information collection, personal information process,period for retaining the information, purposes, etc.
- 3Do not click the Internet address (URL) on text messages or e-mails from an unreliable source
- Personal information can be extracted through programs attached to a text message or email andused in crimes. If you receive a text message or an email from a suspicious or unreliable source, donot download the attached file or click the URL.
- Do not check suspicious text messages or emails, and rather delete them immediately.
- 4Take particular caution about disclosing personal information in financial transactions
- Financial damages can occur by hacking online banking accounts, authentication certificates, etc.while making financial transactions. Take particular care while providing and using finance relatedpersonal information.
- If you need to save financial information such as credit card numbers, etc. while making financialtransactions, set a password and do not use public computers such as in an Internet cafe.
- 5Check the basic details to protect the personal information of your children
Under the Korean law, the personal information of a child under 14 years of age can only be collectedby obtaining the consent of the legal representative (guardian). The contents of the service to whichthe child’s information is provided, and the scope of its use must be clearly confirmed.
- 6Call the “Safety Call” service if you experience any difficulty in using QR code to confirm your identity such as COVID-19
- In the case of foreigners who registered residence in Korea, use the Electronic entry list (QR code) through Smartphone authentication.
- If using the Electronic entry list is difficult, call the “Safety Call” service to store entry information without disclosing personal information.
- 7Use the ☎ 118 Call Center for inquiries about personal information
Call ☎118 for cyber-problems such as hacking, personal information, spam, etc. (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
본 저작물은 '한국건강가정진흥원'에서 '2020년' 작성하여 공공누리 제4유형으로 개방한 '한국생활가이드북'을 이용하였으며, 해당 저작물은 '한국건강가정진흥원, www.kihf.or.kr' 에서 무료로 다운받으실 수 있습니다.